How often should custom earplugs or earsets be replaced?
Not all custom products are the same. CavCom‘s custom earplugs and earsets are designed to last many years due to the considerable strength and durability of our design and materials. Replacement is not based on a set expiration date, but instead should be approached on an as-needed basis. Users should routinely check for wear and tear and proper seal of the ear. If an earpiece is broken or no longer adequately seals the ear, a replacement can be made.
In most cases, CavCom‘s digital storage of ear impressions allows remakes to be made from data already on file for each worker. A new ear impression may be needed to address any significant changes to a user's ear canals resulting from substantial weight change, injury to ear, etc.
For more information about custom products, see this article from CavCom‘s SoundBytes newsletter. Please contact us if you have questions or need guidance on ordering replacement custom products for your employees.
- I've seen headsets and hearing protectors advertised as "OSHA approved" - what does this mean?
- My job can be boring. Is it OK if I listen to music headphones while I'm working?
- What is NRR or Noise Reduction Rating?
- What is the Personal Attenuation Rating (PAR)?
- Why do OSHA formulas require us to subtract 7 dB from the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)?